Tuesday, December 21, 2004

"Richard Cory" Complex

Have you ever read the poem "Richard Cory"? If you haven't, it is about a man who lives his life to the fullest in the eyes of the outside world. He dresses well, he is successful in his job, and all the women want him. Everything is going well for him, yet in the last two lines of the poem, he shoots himself. Tragic end to a seemingly flawless life.

Why do I bring this up? Well, this blog has allowed me to voice things that I have felt, but was too scared to share. So I thought it would be fitting to go ahead and discuss this issue on here.

When I was younger, I often was seen as the source of strength and model of success for many of my friends. Alot of my friends admired me, sometimes to the point of jealousy, sometimes to the point of motivation. Whenever they would have problems, they would always come to me for a solution, and even if they didn't take my advice, they could knock the fact that it was sound advice.

But who do I, the "psychologist", go to when I am down?

As I look back over my life, I have come to realize that I have never really had anyone to whom I could turn and talk about my emotions. Most of the people who were close to me felt that since I helped them through their issues, that I surely couldn't have any problems in my life. Sometimes, it is a lonely existence when you have no reciprocation of emotional support from those around you. I realized that my loneliest moments were when I was surrounded by friends...cause none of them would ever imagine that I had somethings on my mind that I needed to get off. And when I would try to open up about them, their response would pretty much sound like, "Well, you will be fine, just pray over it." or " You always know how to get out of problems...you are smart enough to deal with it." It isn't their fault, but they just don't know how to be there for others once their problems are over.

Sometimes, no matter how strong we are as people, we still have moments where we feel tired, and worn by life and by the things that happen from day to day. Sometimes we desire, crave, need someone to be there for us...if only for a minute. Intelligence is not always the cure all for emotional distress...especially since the two often NEVER coincide. However, we end up feeling that because we are intelligent, we must be able to deal with our issues. Or they assume that saying "pray about it" will instantly make things better. I know prayer changes things, and I definitely do that in these situations. But after the prayer, sometimes you need to talk to someone who will just listen. Often, you need no advice, just a listening ear. I truly wish that I had that.

Nah, I am not suicidal, and I don't see it ever getting that deep. But I am writing this in hopes that whoever reads it will see that sometimes you just need to listen to those who have been there for you. You never know what issues may plague them and their well-being. If you don't do anything but listen...then that is a start.

Never assume that those who are successful are without tribulation. Those individuals may need you just as much as you need them.

2 comments:

the kid said...

I understand how you feel. Add to the intelligence factor youth, and people really think you can't possibly have major problems from time to time. Over the years, it has changed though. So now, I try to make sure I continue being the listener especially since I've found a few people to listen. :)

Anonymous said...

When I arrived at ARCC late Friday afternoon they were busy mounting large, flat-screen LCD displays from the ceiling and walls. [url=http://www.mulberryhandbagssale.co.uk]Mulberry Bayswater Bags[/url] Enjoy boating, swimming, running and biking in the warmer months and ice fishing, cross country skiing and sledding in the winter.. [url=http://www.goosecoatsale.ca]canada goose[/url] Oikswvofo
[url=http://www.pandorajewelryvip.co.uk]pandora charm[/url] Epyavwvwt [url=http://www.officialcanadagooseparkae.com]canada goose coats[/url] hbcqdkbvk