Monday, December 13, 2004

Forgiveness in the Community

This weekend was kinda weird...

I just said that I wanted to reclaim my innocence. That I want to believe in the goodness of humanity. No sooner than I posted that, someone broke into my car and stole some money and clothing. Christmas brings out the good AND the bad in us all, I guess. The weird thing is that the stuff they stole, except the money, was about to be donated to Salvation Army or some charity, since they were things I can't really use anymore. I guess, in some strange way, I still donated to a worthwhile cause.

Which also makes me realize this...I have to appreciate life for what it is, and for what it may mean to others! It hurt me to think that someone could be in such need during this time of year that they would break in to a car on CHURCH GROUNDS just for a quick come-up. You know, sometimes I think that we take for granted our relationships with others in our community who haven't quite reached the level of comfort that we have reached. There are people in this world who don't KNOW any other way to provide for their families, or themselves, than to do what we deem illegal. Self-preservation is the first law of survival...and I was such an easy target (to quote T.I.)

Rather than feel anger at this situation, I feel hurt for the family of the individuals who did this...because they really don't know how much their loved ones risked for the sake of giving them a good Christmas. I also thank God that I wasn't around when it happened, because there could have been a totally different turnout for this situation. No one was hurt, I didn't lose much during the event, and ultimately, someone is benefitting from something for which I had no further use.

Life's funny that way!!!

1 comment:

the kid said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. A few years ago, someone broke into a couple of cars at my church and took everything including a Christmas tree. It was a little more sad because one of the cars was filled with the only stuff she had for her family. But the Lord is still good because she had a church family to get together and replace all that stuff. Anywho, not to post in your comment box--I hope all is well!