Tuesday, December 18, 2007

First Amendment Rights-Are We Losing Our Freedoms

Americans are entitled to free speech. This I have been told since I was a third grader learning my first history lesson. They even showed me proof...they showed me the Constitution. The one document that is to serve as the guideline for how all Americans are to be governed. Yes, as an American, I am entitled to free speech.

Or so I thought.

Turns out that free speech isn't necessarily free. Nor is it discounted in some cases. Nope...as Americans, we pay FULL PRICE for our abilities to say and do what we want. Sad, but true. We really do not control the words that flow from our mouths.

Today, I read Yahoo news, and I find out that five of the Falcons players were fined for their displays of solidarity with Michael Vick. Some to the tune of 10,000 dollars. Now, I know for them, this is a drop in the bucket for what they make, but seriously, the principle is what is being violated here. How can you tell a man that you can't verbally support a teammate during a game? How can you penalize someone for speaking their mind to uplift a downtrodden (albeit foolish) comrade?

Now grant it, freedom of speech should have some limitations. Hate speech should be governed, simply because the impact of those words have caused death, violence, and mayhem throughout the history of the US. Yelling "FIRE" in a movie theater is against the law since it could lead to mass frenzy and injury, even though it is just a word. Those types of rules, I understand. But the recent punishments handed down by the NFL simply blows my mind.

But this is the current trend I am seeing. It seems that different agencies/institutions/etc. have realized that the Constitution only applies to the government, but they don't have to offer that same service to their constituents. Examples include:

-Speaking out against improprieties and maltreatments in fraternities and sororities. It seriously sickens me that so many people can be thrown under the bus because they choose to speak out against things that they feel would BETTER the organizations they love. Of course, they label it as "conduct unbecoming of a member" but it really means "conduct that may expose our dictatorial control." (Of course, I am not referring to anyone group in particular, since all of the organizations I am familiar with aren't that vindictive towards members. *WINK*)

-School protests. To be honest, America swears that our generation doesn't have the gumption and the will to fight for what we believe, but as soon as we do, those same individuals are there to stifle our creative and intellectual minds. (As I write this, I hear the words "Don't Tase me Bro" echoing from Gainesville, FL.)

-Speaking out in the workplace. It amazes me how many people want to say something on their jobs or at the workplace about what is truly going on IN the workplace, but get fired or demoted once they do.

And there are countless other examples, but because I don't want to go into witness protection, I will stop here. But you get my point.

At what point are we going to act like adults? Adults understand that we can verbalize, express, and discuss varying points of view without threat of backlash or punishment. Adults realize that I may not agree with you and your ideas, but I respect and defend your right to say them. Adults believe that forward progression of any institution (be it schools, sports, or fraternal organizations) hinges on the abilities of individuals to be able to think and present those thoughts as rational ideologies that can help the future of said institution, whether the higher-ups agree or not. Definitely, adults wouldn't penalize or punish other adults for simply speaking their mind in a non-confrontational way. But then again, I suspect that being an adult nowadays simply refers to your age, and not your maturity.

Bottom line is... you are entitled to free speech, as long as no one can hear you!

No comments: