Thursday, January 06, 2005

New Semester/New Challenges

Okay, so the new semester is starting, and I am excited. I honestly feel a tad bit more secure and optimistic about this semester...moreso than last semester. I am thrilled about my project, which is finally getting off the ground, and I am also happy about being stress-free. What a way to start off the new year.

For my project, I am testing to see how calcium affects the genes involved in heart contractions. To put it simply, we will expose a mammalian heart (rat or rabbit) to calcium, and see if we get any genetic products afterwards. This is interesting to me because I have always been interested in whole-heart and whole organ physiology and function. Furthermore, my lab has been kinda one-dimensional before I came, so now we can expand our scope ot encompass more areas of cardiac research. I feel like such an asset.

I am doing animal surgeries as well. Last semester I did the surgeries on rats alone. This semester, I get to do rabbits and rats, which require two totally different techniques. Furthermore, I get to perform the operations by myself. Am I a geek or what?

My mom and I played Jeopardy by phone yesterday, and I have come to realize that I am a nerd by design...it was genetically bestowed upon me. Mom and I have played Jeopardy together since I was about 10, and now that we realize that we can do it by phone, it will probably go on until I can get on the actual show. I feel like Rosie Perez in "White Men Can't Jump."

"You know what a quince is, Billy? It's a food Billy...a food that starts with the letter "Q"!!!"
-Rosie

I also realize that my dad, no matter how hard of a soul he can be to others, is really a big softie when it comes to me...his son. He calls every day to check on me, as if I am at summer camp or something. Now he never makes it seem like it is his idea...he always says, " Uh, your momma was curious about your well-being, son" or something like that. Just a big ole softie.


The new year has been good to me. I already see that school and family are both in perfect alignment with my paths for this year. Wish me luck!!!

No comments: